- Boil the potatoes in a pan of water for around 10-15 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, brush a griddle pan with oil and heat. Add the aubergine and courgette slices in batches and griddle until they are golden and soft. Remove from the pan, drizzle with 1tbsp of the olive oil, set aside and keep warm.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook until softened, then set aside and keep warm.
- Pour the polenta onto a plate. Press the herring fillets, flesh side down, into the polenta to coat.
- Heat another 1tbsp of the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the herrings, skin side down, until lightly crispy. Turn down the heat and turn over. Cook on the polenta side until golden brown.
- Drain the potatoes and gently crush with a fork to just break the skins. Add the pesto and remaining olive oil to the potatoes.
- Arrange the potatoes on four plates. Top with the aubergine, courgettes, tomatoes and olives. Add the herring fillets and serve.
Thanks to our friends at Seafood Scotland for this recipe!