- Chop the capers and gherkins and mix together all the ingredients for tartare sauce, adding lemon to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- Place the cod and milk into a pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool and drain off the milk.
- Make the mashed potato, add the butter and cream then set aside in the fridge.
- Combine the cod, chopped parsley, salt and pepper and mashed potato in a large bowl.
- Leave to chill in the fridge until the mixture has become firm enough to form fish cakes.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into bowls for coating the fish cakes.
- Shape the fishcakes by lightly pressing the mix between your hands. The fishcakes should fit comfortably in the palm of your hand.
- Lightly dust with flour, then dip in the egg and cover in the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly fry in a hot pan on a medium heat until golden, turning frequently.
In the mood to try a new fish? Check out our tasty mackerel fish cake recipe.