Seafood is caught in abundance around the UK coast and it is time to celebrate!
If you love seafood (both fish AND shellfish) – or are just keen to be inspired- the summer festival season is upon us!
Seafood is caught in abundance around the UK coast and summer is the perfect time to celebrate. Do you love Seafood and are keen to be inspired? Forget Glastonbury or Reading and Leeds it’s the summer for Foodie Festivals.
We are spoilt for choice as there are a large number of food festivals and particularly Seafood Festivals taking place around the country over the coming months. They make a great family day out and it is an opportunity to support local fishing communities and see the wonderful array of fish and shellfish landed around the UK!
Here in the UK there is some drool-worthy food festivals all over the country especially Seafood festivals. They make a great family day out and are the perfect opportunity to support your local community and sample the delicious array of fish and shellfish landed around the UK.
We all know that seafood is a great, tasty and healthy food – and the focus is to encourage people to turn up, tuck in and simply enjoy it – and hopefully gain the confidence to cook it at home.
Many of these festivals are supported by Seafish, the industry authority – who will be flying the flag to support and promote the fishing community and seafood.
Fish is the Dish and Seafish we are great supporters of these amazing Seafood festivals and be sure to find one or more of our ambassadors at a number of these festivals across the country.
There is often an opportunity to see the experts in action first hand: fish cutting and shellfish preparation will take centre stage and of course, lots of seafood to taste. There will be many chefs and seafood companies encouraging you to enjoy old favourites, or simply to try something new and many celebrity chefs to look out for.
Below is a list of these mouth-watering festivals across the UK for you to attend:
- First up is the Hastings, Mid-Summer Festival taking place on the 22nd and 23rd of June. CJ Jackson (that’s me!) will be there cooking up a storm promoting the local fishing fleet and working with some fresh, local produce. The focus is all about dishes being quick and easy including; what to ask your fishmonger to make preparing seafood even easier, convenient dishes and recipe leaflets for you to take home. The demonstrations take place in the Classroom on the Coast – at the side of Hastings Stade on Rick-a-nore Road. As well as all of that you’ll also be able to taste local fishmongers smoked fish too. Check out - @Hastings_fish and @HastingsFLAG for more information on the events.
- Then we have The Portsmouth Seafood Festival which runs from the 28th to the 30th of June. The Crabstock boys (@CrabstockBoys) will be showcasing local Shellfish on the Friday. CJ Jackson and Mike Warner from the Shellfish Association of Great Britain will be doing a double act on Saturday. All of the fish is supplied by local supplier- Viviers, who have a number of boats that sail from Portsmouth daily. There will be some fantastic kitchen demonstrations for anyone who wants to watch and soak up the atmosphere across the weekend. For more information please check out; http://portsmouthseafoodfestival.com/).
- Up next is the Dorset Seafood Festival which runs from the 13th to the 14th of July and is sponsored by Nyetimber. This one of the biggest and busiest festival held throughout the year and is a ‘must attend’ held in the delightful seaside town- Weymouth. There are a number of celebrity chefs taking part on stage and, there will also be some fantastic seafood on offer from local restaurants. This festival offers an amazing opportunity to gain a better understanding of the superb seafood available just off our wonderful shores. Get down the harbour and enjoy the buzz with a side of seafood. For more information please visit; https://www.dorsetseafood.co.uk/
- Next is the Leigh on Sea, Cockle Fair on the 17th of August. This is a new small fair celebrating the fabulous cockle – harvested in Leith on Sea. Hosted by Osbornes – famous for their cockle boats – this event will celebrate the short cockle season that kicks off in mid-June and continues into late summer
- Second of the Hastings festival is the Seafood and Wine Festival on the 14th and 15th of September. The Hastings fleet, local wineries and locally sourced product are the highlight of this second Hastings fair of the year. CJ Jackson once again will be promoting the local catch (@Hastings_fish) on both days in the Classroom on the Coast. She is hoping to team up with a local wine producer to include a tasting with the seafood dishes she will be cooking.
- Last but certainly not least is the Aldeburgh Food and Drink Festival on the 28th and 29th September. SAGB’s Mike Warner and CJ Jackson will be flying the Seafish flag at this event – showcasing some of the fantastic seafood caught in Lowestoft in support of the local fishermen…More to come, so watch this space.
Not on the list? Please tweet @fishisthedish and @seafoodschoolto get in touch and let us know about the other festivals out there. Our passion is Seafood however; it is also a celebration of our farmers, local producers with a focus on local produce.
So save the dates in your calendar and get along to one of the many amazing Seafood festivals, tag or tweet us in your posts as we would love to see your photos.
Have a great summer.