Mackerel is our seafood of the month and what a fish it is! This fantastic fish is high in:
- Protein which contributes to the maintenance of normal bones and muscle mass
- Vitamin D helps the maintenance of normal teeth and also the normal function of the immune system
- Vitamin B12 contributes to reduction of tiredness and fatigue
Did you also know that mackerel is also a source of:
- Potassium which contributes to the maintenance of normal blood pressure
- Iodine contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system
- Vitamin B6 which contributes to the normal function of the immune system
This marvellous fish is available all year round so there is no excuse not to tuck into it. You can buy it, fresh, frozen and even tinned (perfect if you are on the go). You can have it in pasta, on a sandwich or in a baked potato for a quick lunch but we have got a collection of mouth-watering recipes for you to try out.
This peri, peri mackerel fajitas dish from our friends at Morrisons is perfect for a midweek dinner but you may even have enough left over for lunch the next day. With only a handful of ingredients and ready in less than 20 mins it’s a fabulous choice.
If you fancy flexing your cheffy muscles then try out this mackerel with Bombay potatoes recipe. It looks so impressive and couldn’t be any easier to rustle up. Plus the curried flavours highlight what a delicious fish this is.
We love, love, love this South American jar salad recipe. It’s ideal for those of us who food prep in advance and is ready in 10 minutes, just what you need when you are in a rush. The combination of flavours will have you making it every day!
Let us know what your favourite mackerel recipe is by tweeting us at @FishistheDish.
Would this article encourage you to eat seafood?