To poach the fish:
- Place in a shallow dish lined with paper and cover the fish with water and cover with more paper. This will take 10 minutes or so depending on the fish. It needs to be just cooked as it is to be reheated later. Allow to cool and flake carefully. Mix with seasoning, chives and mayonnaise.
- Handle very carefully. Form into small rounds the size of ‘old coins’ and pat so the top is flat.
- Chill for 1 hour or as long as possible.
To coat the cakes:
- Prepare three dishes: 1) flour, 2) beaten egg, 3) Matzos meal (or bread crumbs).
- Dip each fish cake into each of these and then fry in a little oil, until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with crisp salad and the mayo dipping sauce. As well as a little pot of tamari soy.