- Cut the fish into pieces around 8cm and 3cm wide.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with black pepper. Put the eggs in another shallow bowl. Mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs together in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip the fish pieces into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, shaking off the excess as you go.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the fish fingers for around 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked through (the amount of time will depend on the thickness of the fish!).
- Lightly toast the ciabatta slices, then spread each with the tartare sauce. Top 4 slices of the ciabatta with the tomatoes, lettuce and fish fingers, finished with the remaining slice of ciabatta, sauce side down. Serve with gherkins and ketchup on the side.
Have a go at making your own tartare sauce by mixing light mayonnaise with a little Dijon mustard, lemon juice, chopped parsely, capers and chopped gherkins.