For the pesto:
- Heat a small frying pan over a low heat. Cook the hazelnuts until dark brown without burning, shaking occasionally.
- Put into a food processor with half of the parmesan, basil, olive oil and garlic and process until smooth, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the pesto into a jar and cover with a little extra oil, then seal and store in the fridge. It will keep in a fridge for up to two weeks
Cooking the scallops:
- After cleaning and rinsing the scallops, pat dry with kitchen roll and place one into a cleaned shell.
- Top with a little pesto, York or Parma ham and a sprinkle of the remaining grated parmesan.
- Repeat until all the shells are filled.
- Place on a baking tray and cook under a hot grill for 2 mins until the scallops are just cooked, the ham crispy and the cheese bubbling.
- Garnish with a little chervil or baby herb shoots