- Clean and cut the sea bass and snapper into generous, equal size pieces. Season with salt. Clean the clams thoroughly and make sure all the shells are tightly closed and without any gaps or cracks. Discards any with shells that are damaged or open.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft, then drain and leave to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins, cut in half and set aside.
- In a cataplana or large frying or sauté pan, arrange layers of the grouper, snapper, vegetables, ham, half the fresh herbs, garlic and chilli. Tuck in the bay leaf and season with salt. Drizzle with the olive oil and wine. Top with the prawns and clams. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- After this time, open the cataplana, add the potatoes, top with the remaining herbs and close again. Simmer for 5 more minutes, turning the cataplana several times.
- Check all the clams have opened (discard any that remain shut) and serve immediately.
Image: Telma Verissmo