- Rinse the queenies, cover them in water and boil until they open. Remove them from their shells and discard the beards and black parts. Rinse the clams in water. Alternatively buy pre-prepared queen scallops from your fishmonger.
- Keep 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions for decoration. Melt the butter and sweat the remaining scallions for about 5 minutes adding the flour and then take it off the heat.
- Add the scallion / butter mix to the cubed potatoes, milk and water and bring to the boil. Let this simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- With a potato masher make a lumpy, thick soup. If you prefer it thinner, add more milk. You can also put it in a blender at this stage if you prefer it completely smooth.
- Bring the “mash” soup to boiling point and add the queenies and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Not too long, as the little queen scallops easily become rubbery.
- Add salt and white pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped scallions on top of each bowl.