Deck to Dinner saw Greg Wallace and a team of nationally recognised, award winning chefs join forces with the fishermen themselves to create a series of 'easy to cook' recipes for what the NFFO calls its 'Magnificent Seven of Sustainable Seafood' ...
Steven Smith is chef-proprietor of one of the North West’s top dining establishments, Freemasons at Wiswell. Here he gives his recipe for hearty and filling hake fish fingers.
Hake Fish Fingers
- Pin bone and take the skin off the hake, cut in to 2cm wide by 15cm long pieces.
- Next set up your ‘pane’ which is 3 mixing bowls with the flour, beaten eggs and then your breadcrumbs mixed with the pork air bag.
- Dip the hake in the flour making sure to pat off any excess, followed by the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Place the wine, fish stock, coriander, fennel seeds and the garlic in a pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Next add the cream and bring to the boil. Then allow tocool and pass through a fine chinoise or sieve.
- Finely dice the fennel, cucumber skin (and small amount of flesh) and gherkin, then mix with the capers.
- Chop the chives.
- Mix the fish cream, mayonnaise, chives and the diced vegetables and warm to around 45°C gently.
- Take the eye out of the tomato and score the skin, only at the top. Blanch in boiling water for 5 seconds only, then immediately drop in ice water for two minutes.
- The skin will now peel off with ease. Cut in to quarters, discard the seeds and now dice in to small cubes.
Blanch the peas and broad beans in salted boiling water, then chill in ice water immediately. Take the outer shell off the broad beans.
- Slice the fennel really thin, ideally on a mandolin.
- Peel the cucumber and take the seeds out and dice.
- Poach the mushrooms in the water and vinegar by boiling the liquer and pouring over the mushrooms only.
Segment the orange and cut each segments in to four pieces.
- Trim the peashots.
- Juice the lemon.
- Mix together all the salad ingredients apart from the pea shoots, dress with the oil, lemon and season.
- Fry the hake, season and lemon the fish when cooked. Warm the tartare sauce.
- Plate up accordingly finishing with the pea shoots and dress with more
Recipe kindly provided by NFFO