- Clean the mussels thoroughly and make sure all the shells are tightly closed and without any gaps or cracks. Discard any with shells that are damaged or open.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions, drain and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened (do not allow the onions to colour).
- Increase the heat, add the wine and mussels, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Divide the cooked pasta between two bowls. Remove the mussels from the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and add to the bowls of pasta, discarding any mussels that haven’t opened.
- Pour the cream or crème fraiche into the mussel cooking liquor, whisk well and heat gently, then pour over the mussels and pasta.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
For a starter, simply cook the mussels without the pasta – there should be enough to serve 4 as a starter.