- Check the mussels and remove any ‘beard’ and barnacles – using the back of a knife. Keep chilled until required.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and tomatoes, cook over a low heat until soft. Add the wine, bring to the boil and simmer to reduce the amount to around 1/3rd its original quantity.
- Add the mussels, cover the pan with a well fitting lid and steam over a low heat for 3 – 4 minutes or until the mussels are fully opened. Lift into a large bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Reduce the cooking liquid in the pan for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the crème fraiche and bring to the boil, add the herbs and season to taste.
- Return the mussels to the pan – in or out of the shell.
- To serve toss the mussels into a bowl of cooked penne and serve.