- Cook the penne in boiling water until al dente, drain lightly, reserving a little of the cooling water. Return the pasta to the pan with the reserved liquid.
- Slice the monkfish fillets into thick medallions.
- Fry the pancetta in a small non-stick frying pan until the fat begins to run and it starts brown. Lift the pancetta onto a plate.
- Fry the monkfish medallions for 2-3 mins in the same frying pan, until lightly brown and cooked through. Lift onto a plate.
- Add the oil to the frying pan and heat. Add the garlic and basil and cook for a few seconds as until it sizzles. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook over a medium heat until soft and pulpy.
- Stir the mixture into the pasta along with the monkfish and pancetta. Season to taste and serve. Pile into a large dish to serve.