Recipe supplied by Martin Wishart award-winning chef and restaurateur
For the mackerel
- Season the fresh mackerel with salt and place it in a foil envelope with a knob of butter and a couple of thin slices of garlic.
- Cook this in the oven at 200C for 6-8 minutes until just done.
- Remove the parcels from the oven and leave the fish to cool in the foil.
- When cool remove the garlic, skin and bones from the fish, reserving the cooking juices for later.
- Put the butter in a bowl and beat it until light and aerated.
- Add the smoked and fresh fish and, using a fork, break it down until it is evenly mixed and fine in texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and the fish cooking juices to the bowl and fold in until evenly mixed.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
For the Beetroot Salad
- Cut the beetroot into approximately 1cm dice and place it into a bowl.
- Whisk together the other ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix as much dressing into the beetroot to coat it well.
- Spoon a little of the beetroot salad onto a plate.
- Form a couple of quenelles of the rillettes onto each plate using 2 spoons.
- Garnish the dish with toast or oatcakes and a little dressed salad.