- Melt the butter over a low heat in a thick-bottomed pan
- Chop the onions, garlic and root ginger, and sweat in a covered pan with the butter. Add brandy and reduce.
- Mix in the flour and cook for about five minutes, still on a low heat.
- Add the tomato and keep mixing. Start adding fish stock little by little, mixing all the time. Add the white fish meat and cook for 30 to 40 minutes
- Liquidise the soup, and pass through a sieve into a clean pot or bowl. Add the crabmeat, grated stem ginger and chopped coriander.
- Serve in warm soup bowls with garlic bread.
For the Fish Stock
- Wash the bones very thoroughly and chop up.
- Cook the vegetables and garlic in the oil for a few minutes. Do not colour
- Add the chopped fish bones and cook without colouring for about five minutes
- Add the water and bring to the boil. Skim well, removing any froth.
- Add the lemon and parsley. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Pass through the sieve and leave to cool
- When cool, the stock can be frozen If stuck for time making a fish stock, try using a quality off the shelf one that you can pick up from the supermarket.
Recipe kindly supplied by Gamba