- To make the batter: put the cava into a large bowl, add the egg and flours and turmeric and whisk together to form a batter – it doesn’t matter if there are fine limps visible. Refrigerate until required.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 180C/350F. To check it's hot enough, drop a cube of bread into the hot oil and it should toast to golden brown within 20 seconds.
- Dip the prepared squid in the batter and lower into the hot oil using tongs. cook for 30 seconds or until the batter is golden. Lift onto absorbent kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the mayo with the paprika and the lemon juice.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and mayonnaise.
Cook’s note: it is possible to shallow fry the squid by keeping it constantly on the move in the pan.