For the Bisque:
- Heat the butter until foaming, add the vegetables and fry for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the crab shell, cayenne pepper and tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and brandy and (carefully!) light to cook off the alcohol.
- When the flames have burnt out, add the fish stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Take out the shell pieces and blitz the remaining mixture in a food processor.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and return to the pan with the cream and the crab meat. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and taste for seasoning and add the lemon juice to taste.
- Pass through a sieve again.
- Chill immediately.
For the Crab Custard:
- Place the egg yolks, whole egg and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together.
- Place the crab bisque in a saucepan with the cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add the hot liquid slowly into the egg base, whisking all the time.
- Pour into ramekins or jam jars and bake at 120°C for 15-20 minutes until just set.
- Leave to cool to room temperature.
Serve with toasted sourdough soldiers and a wedge of lemon, or freshly picked crab claw with chives, parsley and lemon zest on lovely white sourdough bread.
This recipe was brought to you by Acrunet: